6 years, a celebration

You know you are advanced in age when your anniversary celebration includes dinner at Irma's and a tour through Lowe's to look at paint swatches. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and had a great time. And it was my second choice of things to do closely following my parents watching the Little Man while Mr. Neruda and I took full advantage of the bed in the other room. And by that I sadly mean sleep instead of making whoopee.

I will say that earlier in the day Mr. Neruda took Little Man and I to the zoo to give me my gift (a gorgeous necklace to help me remember my Little Man while I go back to work) at the romantic site of our nuptials. I had no idea it was coming or I would have considered that our anniversary celebration. He was pretty successfully tricky this year which was fun. I think it helped him out that I was far too exhausted to go through my normal routine of espionage which leads me to figure everything out, including the gift, before the day of. Some find this habit disgusting (Mr. Neruda) but others feel that it makes me a good gift receiver because if it is something I didn't want I have prepared myself for an exclamation of happy surprise (me). But I digress.

I just think it is hilarious that we are so focused on our "adult" things of buying a new house that the thing we find to be the funnest is to try nailing down our color schemes for the new rooms, obviously following the 60-30-10 rule we learned from HGTV website (and if you don't know what that is you should look it up. It really draws rooms together for a completed look). I mean, sure, Hawaii was discussed as was Greece and Costa Rica but then the baby cried and reality set in and we went to Lowe's. And though some might see that anniversary celebration as pathetic I will counter with the fact that we have a 5 week old and were able to have a conversation our first time away from him that included 95% of not him. That is right, we are brand new, first time parents and we talked about all kinds of other stuff than him. In fact, when he did come up it was mostly because we were talking about repainting his nursery or whether we could take him to a movie theater without being awful people.

Here's to you my husband of 6 years! I think we are doing fabulously together and are only slightly old sticks in the mud. But there is no one else I would rather be stuck with.

No comments:

Post a Comment